Sunday, April 16, 2006

Our God is an Awesome God!

Happy and Blessed Easter!

14 

The above is a link to a version of a song that moves me beyond words, Awesome God.  I'm not sure who is singing it.

I want to thank Donna This and that, and hockey! for the snag of the lovely tag above.  She has conveyed something that I was struggling with and just couldn't quite do it.

This will be a little different of an entry for me than usual.  Without the blessing that God bestowed upon us long ago on Easter, I would be but a small, withered person.  Many of you know of my struggle years ago with depression.  I am the prodigal son, so to speak, that needs to be reminded who is in charge.

A little story on this beautiful Easter morning on how I became acquainted with the Awesome God song.  My children attended a bible-based Lutheran parochial school in grade school.  Megan was my music whiz.  She was probably about 7 when she was invited to attend a Children's Festival Choir and presentation.  The guest was a person named Paul Hill (no relationship to the Paul Hill in Fla.).  He is an African American songwriter.  He wrote Bad, Bad Leroy Brown and many other songs.  He was raised by a very Christian mom who didn't approve of his LA lifestyle.  He threw the LA lifestyle to the side because he realized he was out of control.  He became a teacher in a parochial school and started travelling around the country doing festival concerts for children; of which my children attended one. 

They came home so excited.  Amazing how a vibrant person can lead children to excitement about the Savior.  There was a huge festival concert the next week.  Megan was selected to sing along with Paul.  Of course, she was begging me to attend.  The only problem it was on a night after work and on the other side of Pgh.  Sheesh...I tried in every way, shape and form to worm out of that concert.  I came home from work, ate, changed, grabbed Becky and Joey and off we went with me moaning and groaning about a silly Christian concert the whole way there and how I would never be able to get up the next morning.  And then....the concert began.  I can't even find the words to explain how moved I was.  Moved beyond words.  The final song was Awesome God.  Megan was up on stage beaming and waving her hands and doing the motions to the song.  The audience was on their feet, me included, following the motions, tears streaming down everyone's face; even my stoic Becky. 

This will always stand out in my mind as one of the most memorable events I've ever attended.  Paul Hill has stuttered since he was a child which is why he chose to write instead of perform.  He had some control over it during the concert.  He doesn't stutter when he sings.  He took no money; just sold his tapes (no cd's at that time) if you so desired.  Of course, we did buy both tapes and the tape with Awesome God was played continuously.  Funny thing is I have no idea whatever happened to it.  Actually, my ex was in the throes of alcoholism by that time and didn't go to the concert but amazingly always played the tape when we had to go in the car.

What an awesome man who conveyed an awesome lesson to me through the power of words and songs speaking and singing the Lord's words.

So, on this beautiful Easter morning, I sit here with Awesome God playing in the background with tears streaming.  Music does that to me.

 Thanks to Shelly for the snag of this beautiful tag also....

Blessed Easter and Peace to all.....CHRIS

Awesome God
Rich Mullins

When He rolls up His sleeves
He ain't just putting on the ritz
(Our God is an awesome God)
There's thunder in His footsteps
And lightning in His fists
(Our God is an awesome God)
And the Lord wasn't joking
When He kicked 'em out of Eden
It wasn't for no reason
That He shed His blood
His return is very close
And so you better be believing that
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

And when the sky was starless
In the void of the night
(Our God is an awesome God)
He spoke into the darkness
And created the light
(Our God is an awesome God)
Judgement and wrath He poured out on Sodom
Mercy and grace He gave us at the cross
I hope that we have not
Too quickly forgotten that
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God (Our God is an awesome God)
He reigns from heaven above (He reigns from heaven above)
With wisdom, power, and love (With wisdom, power, and love)
Our God is an awesome God

Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful experience!! I am so glad you went and all were able to feel God and be lifted.
I hope you have a very happy Easter my friend. LOVE,lisa

Anonymous said...

Ah Chris what a lovely entry.....I agree the song is awesome and can understand why it moves you to tears......thanks for sharing. I wish you and your lovely family a very Blessed Easter.
Sending big hugs and much love your way, always !!
Debbie ~xxxxx~

Anonymous said...

what a great song:) i love "Ten Thousand Angels" we are singing this today(choir) hope your day is great

Deb

Anonymous said...

Wow what an entry... thanks for sharing. hugs
d

Anonymous said...

That song is my favorite!!
Happy Easter!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Had no ideal you had another journal! Just found this one today!!! Putting it on alerts. Have a happy Easter Sunday!
Hugs,
SUGAR

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Thank you for inviting me to your journal!  And what a lovely story for you to share with everyone....especially today, on Easter Sunday.  I love that song too, it's wonderful to listen to, so inspirational.  Hope you have a very Blessed Easter with your family.

Love,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Chris, what an inspiring entry. Your journal looks lovely....all these amazing graphics! I have heard ( and sang ) that song so many times. I`m glad you put the story about it in your entry. What an inspired song! You know, I believe with all my heart that you were meant to be at that concert. Satan will do what he can to stop us from being blessed. Things like that are not an accident - you were meant to be there, and now - many years later, you are being a blessing to others with this story and song.
Hugs and love,
Penny

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

What an amazing entry ,thankyou so much for sharing this ,Blessings .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Over the years our church has brought so many children to church and VBS on the van.  They try to get their parents to attend.  Some come on the VBS program night, but hardley ever come back.  So it's so refreshing to find a parent that their child did inspire them!  The song is beautiful.

Happy Easter Hugs!
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Beautiful song.  Happy Easter.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the warm welcome for my new journal. Your journal is absolutely wonderful!  The graphics are gorgeous!  I look forward to enjoying your journal as well.  Thanks again!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful.  I love the story of the concert too.  : )  Happy Easter Chris.  Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Music moves me also girl!
I was sitting in church on Easter morning...
and they sang a song called "Deep Within"...
I just sat there and cried...quietly...lol
I just can't help it, it touched me
Hope you had a Happy Easter!
Hugss ~Terri~

Anonymous said...

I love this song...Looks like you all had a good Easter...Been so busy...sorry have not been by for awhile..hugs TerryAnn.

Unknown said...

This is my teacher! He was the principal of my school in the seventies Grace Lutheran School! He was one of the best influences that I've ever had in my life! He made me to know how real God was at a very dark time when my father died 6 years old. I had him as a teacher/ principal all the way up to fourth grade. It's such a blessing to hear someone else speaker how much he impacted them! I will never forget him.